“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well”-Virginia Woolf, A Room of One’s Own.
Tale Of The Origination Of GMO Food :
- In 1973, Herbert Boyer and Stanley Cohen made the first genetically modified organism. At first, they isolated an antibiotic resistance gene from a bacteria and then inserted it into another bacteria which was not resistant to such antibiotic and observed that the inserted bacteria became resistant to antibiotic Kanamycin.
- In 1974, Rudolf Jaenisch is successful to invent world first transgenic mouse first time. It is the first transgenic animal in the world. The transgenic animal is those who carry a foreign gene that has been deliberately inserted into its genome.
- After 9 years later in 1983 Michael W.bevan, Richard B.Flavell, and Mary-Dell Chilton created first modified plant through the insertion of Agrobacterium with an antibiotic resistance gene into infected Tobacco and after that through tissue culture technique they were able to grow the new plant containing same resistant traits.
- In 90th decade first GMO food produced commercially by Calgene an American multinational agricultural biotechnology, seed, and agrochemical company. They marketed unsuccessful “flavor saver” which is a kind of delayed ripening tomato modified by plant physiologist Athanasios Theologies and it contains bioengineered ACC synthesis gene. It’s also known as CGN-89564-2.
- In 2000 Swiss scientists developed Golden Rice, A yellow colored rice containing β-carotene, an antioxidant that the body can turn into vitamin A.